6.04.2008

A slight change of plan.

As many of you know, Peace Corps pulled my medical clearance for Tanzania, two weeks before I was to leave. You can imagine how I felt -- besides having quit my job of 20 years, sold my house and packed up my life, I was devastated to lose the opportunity to do some good, solid work in such a beautiful country.

I've been frantically researching other overseas possibilities, most involving teaching English as a foreign language.

Didn't expect PC to come through with another opportunity for me.

My placement officer called today. Bless her heart, she'd spoken with POs from every region of the world, trying to find a good place for me.

The invitation should arrive within a couple of weeks.

North Africa -- Jordan or Morroco. Youth development -- teaching English, healthy lifestyles and civic development. Leave Sept. 6.

Not at all the region or the work I'd envisioned when I first started this whole process. But I can see so many opportunities. I'm possibly even more excited than I was when I got the Tanzania invite!

Life works out. Thank you all for riding along on my emotional roller coaster.

Now I can enjoy a summer of soaking up all my lovely Lincoln peeps, researching my new home, maybe getting a head start on learning some Arabic.

I'll set up another blog as the date looms closer. And I wish my Tanzania training mates the very best of experiences, beginning Sunday!

Namaste.

5 comments:

vmh said...

Thanks for updating. I am glad there are options!

Vicky

Anonymous said...

I hope it all works out for you. I'm sure it will. When and if you start a new blog, please post a blog entry about it here!

Lane

B said...

I will definitely update this with a new blog destination sometime soon! Thanks for reading...

Anonymous said...

Hi Becki,
I heard the news. Moroc is a great place -- well it was 20 years ago. :-) And you are so close to Spain! See you around this summer,
algis

Anonymous said...

Now that I've finally read your blog I know why you weren't at your previously announced going-away party at the Zoo Bar. So guess that means I ruined my hearing again, but it was for a worthy cause.

Sorry you're not going to Tanzania, but I'm sure you'll land on your feet.

Pays to be flexible, doesn't it?

let me know if I can assist.

Cheers,
GT